Friday, June 14, 2013

Why I'm against sunless tanning

I've had my fair share of applying creams, foams, lotions and sprays with funky smells in hopes of achieving a natural golden glow without the sun. I always ended up streaky, orange and smelling really weird. Some of the more modern sunless tanning products have been getting rave reviews for working extremely well.

When I was diagnosed with melanoma and told people that I will never tan again, they tried to comfort me by letting me know about their favorite sunless tanning products.

At first I thought great- now I will have to spend my time and money on trying to get a fake tan. But in the past few months I've taken a new stance on sunless tanning.

Lately I have gone au natural when it comes to most of my features, I've embraced my natural hair color and I don't highlight it anymore (mostly because of money) and I haven't been to a nail salon in years. I've decided that my skin should be the same way: natural.

Now don't get me wrong. If you want to get acrylic tips and color your hair purple- I am all for it! You should feel beautiful and coloring your hair is harmless (for the most part). Hair and makeup should be fun! But sunless tanning to me is a whole different situation.

Tanning is what gave me cancer. Tanning is a factor leading to the 2 million annual diagnosed cases of melanoma in the US. I feel that by using sunless products to give myself tan skin it sends the wrong message. When you tan, sunless or not, you are sending the message that you like changing the color of your skin and that it's okay. I don't want someone to see me with a really great looking sunless tan and think to themselves "wow, her tan looks great, I need to start tanning too".



Save your money. Send a message. Stand up for yourself and others. Help change society's view on tanning. Stop using sunless tanning products.

Will you join me?


2 comments:

  1. Wow - you weren't kidding when you left a comment on my blog saying you could relate to my story. I feel like I wrote this post! I've been through the same thing with self tanner. Initially, I used it in lieu of UV tanning since I couldn't tan anymore after being diagnosed with melanoma. It took a few years, but blogging has helped me realize that I can survive without UV and spray tanning. I still definitely encourage to go UV-free if they feel the need to tan, but I don't, and I'm so glad that you feel the same way! Would love to get to know you better. Stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! We are very similar! My distaste for any tan, fake or not, continues to grow each day.

      Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog! I hope to keep in touch!

      -Sarah

      Delete